Wednesday, October 30, 2013

More Dollarwise Decorating Details


As I've said a zillion times, but I think it bears repeating, I think the best home decorating, and what makes a house, condo, or apartment feel "homey" is truly in the details.  And the fun thing about it is that quality details are easily found in dollarwise amounts so you can invest more in quality larger furnishings like sofas and beds. 

In a perfect world, your home decorating details would also have some kind of personal meaning.  For instance, I recently found this little "Always Kiss Me Good Morning" sign at one of my fave local stores, and since my hubby and I are big on kissing each other good-bye before leaving for work in the morning, and have been since we married over 33 years ago, we knew this was the whimsical bathroom sign for us because we both laughed when we saw it!

I also found this pretty window valance recently online and I put it above my shower curtain to hide the shower bar, showerhead, and to draw the eye upward towards the high ceiling to make the room appear bigger.  It worked on all accounts. 


And last but not least, my hubs changed out the cabinet knobs in our bathroom to go with our more antique-looking Old World style decor.  I found these at World Market which has great cabinet knobs at good prices.  Similar to these, but for half the price, even not on sale.  I do love Anthro's knobs though, so I understand if you feel the need to splurge on some!  But for me, I'd rather buy something similar, for less, and put the money I saved into my IRA.  Oh, I know, some of you consider me a total bore for that, and others of you think I'm sensible.  Probably both would be at least somewhat accurate.  :)


What dollarwise details have you added to your home lately to make it "feel like home?!"

Kathryn :) 

2 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/From Harvest To Table said...

That valance was a great idea! I am always decorating on a budget. I use places like Pottery Barn etc as sources of inspiration, then find a way to do it for much less!

Kathryn Bechen said...

And you do a great job with that too, Penny, in your beautiful home!

Free Newsletter & Tips

Instantly receive my download articles Top 10 Organizing, Decorating, & Lifestyle Tips, AND Small Space Savvy in a Big Stuff World.
Includes my free e-newsletter.

Enter your email address here: